Your car may have lost power when accelerating or it may be spending more fuel than it should for the usual routes. If this happens to you, it may be time to change your car’s spark plugs.
But do you know when and how to do it? From Torres Lara Motor we tell you everything you need to know about your car spark plugs.
What is a spark plug?
A spark plug is a part of the car responsible for producing a mixture between gasoline and air in the cylinders of the car. Spark plugs consist of different components:
- Top terminal : the place where the ignition coil is connected.
- Main body : works as a high voltage and heat insulator.
- Thread : used to screw the spark plug into the cylinder head.
- Electrode : originates the spark generated by the mixture between gasoline and air.
Apart from this you must also be clear that there are different types of spark plugs, those of ignition and preheating . The former are used in gasoline cars and the latter in diesel vehicles. Both help to start the car.
There are also other spark plugs that are gaining more and more followers, iridium or iridium spark plugs. These have a thinner central electrode that allows to conduct electricity better and generate better sparks creating a simpler ignition.
When and how to change the spark plugs of your car?
Usually, spark plugs that do not suffer major breakdowns or any blow, usually last about 60,000 kilometers in a gasoline car . Of course, there may be a problem before and you have to check them at 35,000 or 40,000 km.
For glow plugs, that is, diesel cars , there is more margin and they are usually changed every 120,000 kilometers.
How do you change the spark plugs?
When replacing the spark plugs, it is convenient that you change them one at a time , without removing the next one until you have finished the previous one. So you will not be wrong when placing the cables because if you place them incorrectly, you can modify the order of ignition of the cylinders and the engine will not start.
To make all the change you will need a set of spark plugs and tools such as a ratchet, an elongate and a specific spark plug wrench.
STEPS TO CHANGE THE SPARK PLUGS OF YOUR CAR
- You have to locate the spark plugs in your car . It is essential that the engine is cold and two hours or more have elapsed since the last time the car was running.
- You have to remove the high voltage wire from the spark plug with which you are going to start. Do it carefully, pull its cap to avoid damaging it.
- It’s time to use the tools ! With the ratchet, extension and spark plug wrench, unscrew the ignition coils and spark plug and remove them.
- Put on some glasses and blow the spark plug in question through its hole to clean it of impurities.
- Place the new spark plug by twisting it in place and carefully. Once screwed, use the special wrench and press to leave it under the same pressure as the previous one.
- Replace the ignition coil by screwing it with the ratchet.
- When the ignition coil is fixed, reconnect the wiring and the spark plug will be replaced.
Repeat this process again and again with each spark plug and so you have the complete change. You have to keep in mind that the change of spark plugs depends on the displacement of the car and that sometimes it can become a complicated task.
Therefore, it is recommended that you approach your reliable mechanical workshop to make the spark plug replacement of your car. If you need help, do not hesitate to contact your Torres Lara Motor workshop , we offer you an exclusive and personal treatment.